Re: Increasing spacing between staves

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Increasing spacing between staves
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 13:36:48 +0000

On Fri, 2017-11-10 at 13:05 -0500, Ben wrote:
> On 11/10/2017 12:49 PM, David Sumbler wrote:
> > Is there some way of increasing or specifying the space between the
> > 2
> > staves of a piano staff at a particular point in a score?
> >
> > The piece I am setting has a lot of cross-staff beams, and
> > sometimes
> > Lilypond does not allow enough space between the staves for a
> > decent-
> > looking beam.  In those cases I would like to force a greater space
> > between the 2 staves just for that particular printed line of
> > music.
> >
> > I do not wish to alter the minimum staff spacing globally.  But the
> > particular points where extra spacing is needed may not occur at
> > the
> > beginning of a line, and of course the spacing of the whole line
> > must
> > be changed.
> >
> > Can this be done?
> >
> > David
> >

> If you don't want to set it up globally with \new Staff, you can
> still of course use the same override as needed throughout the piece,
> etc.
> The padding is the main value you can change...
> (see attached)
>
> \version "2.19.80"
> % -this was just an example from the documentation
>

> \new PianoStaff \with {
>     \override StaffGrouper.staff-staff-spacing = #'(
>                             (basic-distance . 0)
>                             (padding . 8))
>   }
>   <<
>     \new Staff {
>       g''2 c'' c'' a''
>     }
>     \new Staff {
>       \clef bass e2 f c e
>     }
>   >>

Thanks for this suggestion.  I am currently using Lilypond v. 2.19.48

Unfortunately, after trying this out, I find that changing the
StaffGrouper parameter values after the PianoStaff has been created
doesn't work.  I came across a similar problem once with, I think,
changing a Staff parameter.  The values seem to be built into to the
context on creation, and can't be altered later.

I'll probably have to add an invisible dynamic or something like that
to force the staves apart on the relevant lines of music.

David