Re: Strange behaviour

From: Ralph Palmer
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 07:23:50 -0500

Hi, Don -

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 1:58 AM, Don Gingrich <address@hidden> wrote:
What I want is to effectively have two voices  in the second bar -- The
first time through fits the d4 r4 r4 e8 e tune and the second uses d4 (
a8) a4 d4 e8 e

I'm copying a sheet that used diminished size notes for the alternate,
so I figured, "OK, use grace notes...." But for some reason that I don't
understand, the a4 generates both a small note _and_ a full size one --
the "curlys" around the a4 d4 were my attempt to force my will --  but
Lilypond politely ignored them.

melody = \relative c' {
  \clef treble
  \key d \major
  \time 2/2
  \repeat volta 2 {
    d2 \slurDashed d4 ( d)             |
    d4 ( \grace a8 ) \grace{ a4 d4} r4 r4 e8 e
  }
    \bar "|."

}

I had tried voices previously, but found the explanations in the
documentation insufficient -- the attempt simply barfed or refused
generate what I expected.
It would be good to understand how to insert an occasional bar with an
alternate voice -- much vocal music uses a consistent chord progression
and accompaniment -- but varies the melody to fit the lyric.

Please include your LilyPond version and operating system when you're asking about a problem.

I would certainly try using separate voices again. Also, in your first paragraph, "the second uses d4 (
a8) a4 d4 e8 e" is one eighth note too long.

Is this what you're looking for? It should work in 2.18, as well.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.19.80"

melody = \relative c' {
  \clef treble