Re: Video generation on linux systems: Note and rests change color

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Video generation on linux systems: Note and rests change color
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:01:28 -0600

On Wed 15 Nov 2017 at 13:11:56 (-0600), Karlin High wrote:
> On 11/15/2017 12:30 PM, David Wright wrote:
> >I don't understand this. sleepenh is*not*  a replacement for usleep.
> >Gnu systems use*their*  sleep command which takes non-integer values.
> >As expected, sleep uses seconds, usleep uses microseconds (where
> >u is the usual replacement for ยต) and nanosleep uses nanoseconds
> >(but the last isn't a command, obviously). Perhaps someone didn't
> >realise that.
>
> All I know about this is what Google finds for me. :)
>
> address@hidden:~$ usleep
> -bash: usleep: command not found
>
> address@hidden:~$ sudo apt-get install usleep
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package usleep
>
> address@hidden:~$ sudo apt list | grep usleep
>
> WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution
> in scripts.
>
> address@hidden:~$
>
> Debian finds nothing for this, unless I just don't know how to ask.
>
> There IS a manpage for usleep, but it looks like it's for a C
> library feature, not an executable. It says #include <unistd.h>

AFAICT the only Debian with files called usleep is 5.0 (lenny)
where there were:
usr/share/epic4/help/5_Programming/usleep
usr/lib/nosql/usleep

I think I might have seen a reference to usleep in RedHat.

> I got the idea for sleepenh from these:

The last message of 812184 reveals that the maintainer applied
the correct fix but not what it was, for which you have to
consult the file mentioned, /usr/share/doc/sleepenh/changelog.Debian.gz

sleepenh (1.2-3) unstable; urgency=low

  * fixed typos in manpage, thanks to A. Costa. closes: #422939
  * decided not to add a symlink to usleep, as asked in bug 223455.
    The gnu 'sleep' command (provided by package coreutils) accepts
    floating numbers as arguments and can be used for doing it.
    closes: #223455

> So it would be better if I changed the mkvideo script from "usleep
> 250" to "sleep 0.25" instead of "sleepenh 0.25" ?

Yes, but it's a factor of a million, not a thousand, so
sleep 0.00025
would be appropriate as a replacement for usleep 250.

Cheers,
David.