Re: [OT] Linux Users

From: mskala
Subject: Re: [OT] Linux Users
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 08:56:51 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017, Brett M. Gilio wrote:
> How many Linux users are out there in the Lilypond community? Do any of
> you use other type-setting software such as LaTeX or Csound rather than
> graphical tools?

One here.  I'm not sure Csound qualifies as typesetting software, but I
use it often for synthesis, and LaTeX for typesetting.  I use Lilypond
(from the command line, usually invoked by a Makefile) for translating
between human and machine-readable music in both directions:  sometimes
I'll compose music in the form of a Lilypond file and use Lilypond to
convert it to MIDI which I can use with my hardware and software
synthesizers, and sometimes I write software that generates music in the
form of Lilypond files, which I engrave to make human-readable PDFs.  I do
pretty much of my computing in a Linux environment.

--
Matthew Skala
address@hidden                 People before principles.