Re: [OT] Grammatic gender

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: [OT] Grammatic gender
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 21:41:32 +0000

On 18/11/17 18:18, Karlin High wrote:
> On 11/18/2017 11:33 AM, David Wright wrote:
>> You might find yourself being
>> misunderstood in more serious circumstances, if you don't allow
>> for the same words to mean different things, or even the opposite.
>
> Reminds me of my cousin on a business trip to England. He learned that,
> unlike in America, the terms "phone card" and "calling card" are NOT
> equivalent and interchangeable.

Which is why, while I don't give a monkeys which version of English you
use (and I *most* *emphatically* *do* *not* think "Standard English" is
THE correct form of English), I really would like to know which version
you are speaking because I would like to understand you.

Calling cards pre-date phones. And while I don't know exactly where the
critters live, I think if a skunk left its calling card close by you'd
know about it! Certainly it's a damn nuisance when the foxes leave
theirs outside our doors.

Cheers,
Wol