Re: [OT] Linux Users

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: [OT] Linux Users
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 09:46:21 +0100

Am 20.11.2017 um 09:34 schrieb David Kastrup:

On 2017-11-19 5:28 PM, Simon Albrecht wrote:
Font selection, language support, UTF-8 input…
All of these are supported in LuaTeX/LuaLaTeX.

For some key differences see this:
https://www.overleaf.com/blog/500-whats-in-a-name-a-guide-to-the-many-flavours-of-tex#keyfeatures

There's one feature that sets LuaLaTeX apart from XeLaTeX for my use
cases, and that's the compatibility of the 'microtype' package. While
it works with XeTeX it offers a limited feature set - and that package
with LuaTeX provides (at least for me) those last 5% of beautiful
typesetting.

However, this comes at a cost: both XeTeX and LuaTeX work
*substantially* slower than pdfTeX.
Which works substantially slower than compiling to DVI and then using
dvips or similar.

I'm always stunned how fast "ordinary" compilation can be with LaTeX,
for example when simply pushing a Markdown document through Pandoc.
Try compiling the TeX source code to DVI (not! PDF) with plain TeX.
That was sort of the definition of a large document in the 80s.

I'll sure do that occasionally

Makes you wonder where LaTeX spends all its time.

Do you have an idea where it does?