Re: variable

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: variable
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 09:54:12 +0100

On 24 November 2017 at 09:49, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm sorry for the trivial question but why this code is wrong?
>
> \version "2.19.80"
>
> music = {a b}
> \music
>

> My understanding was that "\music" is substituted by its value "{a b}"....

You need to put anything in between.  LilyPond looks at \music before
deciding the assignment is complete because the assignment could be

music = {a b} \addlyrics {Oh well}

For that it needs to decide what \music is but the assignment is not yet
complete...

Thank you David!

It is a bit frustrating. Even apparently simple things are complicated.... but that's ok.
Thank you, g.