Re: Volta Alternatives (music theory)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Volta Alternatives (music theory)
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 22:39:35 +0100

Joe Davenport <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Another basic question to fill the vaults... I like to work with
> alternative endings for repeats, i.e.
>
> \repeat volta 2
>
> \alternative { }
>
> where alternative is two endings matched with the repeat number (i'll
> explain why):
>
> \alternatives {
> {do re do me do }
> { mi re do }
> }
>
> I want "volta 2," repeats because it works and the third repetition does
> not occur until the ENTIRE score has been read- all the way through. My
> thinking is to engrave it as something like this:
>
> C: .. . . . .. .  |__1___| |___2,5___|
>
> My theory isn't what it could be. Do I need a dal signo? My thinking is
> that I do, at the end, with a coda at the starting point and a sign on the
> ending I wish to repeat! Hopefully this was easy to read. I'm trying to
> emulate a simplicity to music and thought I'd share this to hear something
> on a technical level.

I don't see what should happen at the end of the second repetition and
afterwards.  Maybe show the structure of your music as an A B A C
... sequence and we'll try deducing the repeat structure from there?  As
it is, I don't understand how you'll magically skip repetitions 3 and 4
altogether.

--
David Kastrup