Re: Windows 10

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Windows 10
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 11:12:46 -0500

On 12/1/2017 9:15 AM, address@hidden wrote:

Hi Matthias

I had used Lilypond on Windows10 for a while with no problems, however recent updates have caused quite a few different issues and permissions is a big one.

My lily files were all in C:\windows\users\peter\lilypool and the lilypond program in C:\ProgramFiles(86)\Lilypond and Frescobaldi in in C:\ProgramFiles(86)\Frescobaldi.

Everything worked fine but after one fateful OS update I found to extra folders in C:\windows\users\  , PETERDESKTOP and PETERDESKTOP.000.

Frescobaldi ceased to work the solution I came to was to run Frescobaldi as Administrator (even though my account peter is an administrator) somehow these unbidden “users” had screwed things.

I have been trying to get some sense out of MS for days without any luck, other issues also abound.

ADVICE “Do not join the Windows Insider program – unless you have plenty of spare time and a good working knowledge of the Windows OS methodology”

Regards Peter

Peter,

I am not sure if you just had a typo or not, but are you really storing your user data in the C:/Windows parent folder?
You must have had to create that Users folder manually, because it's not the default location.

If so, I highly recommend you restore that to the default user location, where permissions are much easier to manage (on purpose, by Microsoft):

i.e. C:\Users\Ben\.....

The "Windows" directory itself (in C:) has strong permissions because of what content is contained within, so I am not surprised that permissions have given you headaches with that directory. Sorry!

If you want to restore the default location and fix the permissions issue, here is a link:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23504-restore-default-location-personal-folders-windows-10-a.html

Hope this can help :)