Re: Transposing an entire score

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Transposing an entire score
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 10:34:27 -0500

Hi Peter,

> I have a piece of choral music in 8 parts. It's too low for my choir to sing,
> so I want to transpose the entire piece up from the key of F to the key of A.
> I asked an almost identical question in November and the first answer I
> received worked. Unfortunately, it doesn't work this time, perhaps because
> the score is formatted differently.
> As a mere musician, I'm afraid many of the answers I received last time were
> too technical for me to understand, so I'd be really grateful for simplicity
> in responses.
> I'm enclosing the file, just in case someone wants to fix it for me.

That's great… except it's such an old version of the application, I can't
compile the file.

Thoughts:

1. Why do you use version 2.14? If only to ensure that more people on the list
can help you, you should consider upgrading to the most recent stable (or even
unstable) version.

2. Your code formatting/structure makes it *very* difficult (at least for me)
to quickly figure out what’s going right/wrong.

3. Here's an example of outputting an SATB score (on two staves), first in the
original key and then transposed up a tone:

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.80"

global = { \key c \major }
soprano = { c''1 }
alto = { e'1 }
tenor = { g1 }
bass = { c1 }

\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff <<
      { \voiceOne << \global \soprano >> }
      \\
      \new Voice { \voiceTwo << \global \alto >> }

    \new Staff <<
      \clef bass
      { \voiceOne << \global \tenor >> }
      \\
      \new Voice { \voiceTwo << \global \bass >> }

}

\score {
  \transpose c d \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff <<
      { \voiceOne << \global \soprano >> }
      \\
      \new Voice { \voiceTwo << \global \alto >> }

    \new Staff <<
      \clef bass
      { \voiceOne << \global \tenor >> }
      \\
      \new Voice { \voiceTwo << \global \bass >> }

}
%%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

Note that the *only* difference between the two scores is the
  \transpose c d
immediately before the ChoirStaff (or GrandStaff, or whatever the outermost
<<>> construct is in your score) in the second score. That single command
transposes the entire score (i.e., everything inside the <<>>), as desired.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info