Re: Transposing an entire score

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Transposing an entire score
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 16:43:50 +0100

Ben <address@hidden> writes:

> On 12/5/2017 5:25 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>> I have a piece of choral music in 8 parts. It's too low for my choir
>> to sing, so I want to transpose the entire piece up from the key of
>> F to the key of A.
>> I asked an almost identical question in November and the first
>> answer I received worked. Unfortunately, it doesn't work this time,
>> perhaps because the score is formatted differently.
>> As a mere musician, I'm afraid many of the answers I received last
>> time were too technical for me to understand, so I'd be really
>> grateful for simplicity in responses.
>> I'm enclosing the file, just in case someone wants to fix it for me.
>> Thank you.
>> Peter
>>

> Hi Peter,
>
> I'm sure we can help with the transpose for you. I just opened your
> document.
>
> But FYI: Your LY file does not compile on my Windows 10 machine. Can
> you take a look at it again?
> ============
> Parsing...
>
> C:/Users/Ben/Desktop/Lassus_Osculetur_me.ly:843:17: error: syntax
> error, unexpected \new, expecting \sequential or \simultaneous or <<
> or '{'
>
> \new Lyrics

That's because of totally garbled combination of \new Lyrics and
\lyricsto:

        \lyricmode <<
                \lyricsto "altusprimus"
                \new Lyrics
                {
                [...]
                }

Ouch, just ouch.  No reason for << >> here, \lyricsto starts lyricmode
itself but can (no longer) take \new Lyrics .  This would need to get
written as

\new Lyrics \lyricsto "altusprimus" { [...] }

and LilyPond at some point refused to compile this stuff.  convert-ly
however is able to sort it out.

> C:/Users/Ben/Desktop/Lassus_Osculetur_me.ly:1011:31: error: syntax
> error, unexpected SCM_TOKEN, expecting '.' or '=' or ','
>
> system-system-spacing
>
> #'basic-distance = #20

This convert-ly is not able to sort out (no idea why).  Just write

system-system-spacing.basic-distance = #20

here.

Basically, this is intended to work with 2.18 and it does, once you are
willing to ignore a few dozen warnings.

--
David Kastrup