Question for a new LilyPond user (parts-only editing)

From: Ben
Subject: Question for a new LilyPond user (parts-only editing)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 12:50:51 -0500

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all having a great day. I had a friend ask me a question the other day which got me thinking. I figured the best way was to pass it along here and ask the community what they think. (My friend is strongly considering switching to LilyPond from Finale currently)

We were talking about the fact that when using programs like Sibelius or Finale, composers often find themselves making changes to the full score and the instrument parts *independently*. Perhaps they want to change the spacing and position of a marking or articulation, or maybe adjust the bezier curves of a slur in the part only, not the score, etc. for whatever reason.

This sort of thing gets to be a habit from years of using the software; you always find yourself wanting to make changes to parts and not have those changes reflect on the full score. While I don't really find myself needing to do these types of separate tweaks to parts only since I switched to Lilypond, I certainly remember doing parts-only tweaks when I was using Sibelius especially. I'd have to scoot a dynamic marking a bit or fix a slur shape that was looking cramped but I didn't want it to move in the full score. Lots of fine-tuning to parts.

So here's my question.

Everyone has their own personal preference to how they approach setting up their music: many like to create definition files for all the music / maintain a separate score file with the variables, etc. - so, assuming you did setup your projects like this, how would you tell a new potential-LilyPond user the easiest way to go about changing some markings or music specifically in the part itself only while not touching it in the main score file?

I'm a bit confused because most of the time the part (ily) files I have for scores are just barebones: setup a staff, paper, and that's about it. There's really no "music" in the parts to edit separately. I thought it would be helpful to hear how you all handle this sort of situation, whenever it does pop up.

Imagine a scenario where you simply must make changes to the part only, and you've already set up your definitions and score file separately and organized. What do you do? Can you do anything in that case?

I think it's a good question for those who are switching to LilyPond (or seriously considering a switch).   :)

Thanks for any feedback on how you approach this sort of engraving situation! I appreciate it.

[Their exact questions were along the lines of how could you adjust a slur marking in the part only, move a rehearsal mark vertically in the part only, move a dynamic marking left or right in the part only, stuff like that. I told my friend essentially "that sort of thing really doesn't happen because of the organization approach/mindset of LilyPond but...]