Re: Frescobaldi 3,.0 CRAHES

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi 3,.0 CRAHES
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 01:11:17 +0100

Hi Andrew,

my comments below are based on a very vague understanding of the issue, but maybe they are of help anyway (but please don't let them confuse you).

Am 08.12.2017 um 23:52 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
Hi Ben and All,

I have to run F 3 on Mint because I can't get the dependencies all lined up for Ubuntu 16.04. It's incredibly difficult, to the point that I had given up and I run a Mint VM just for F 3.

Now that others are also having problems, perhaps I will look into this again. As to what the differences in environment are between Mint and Ubuntu are that affect this, I just don't know. But I will find out for us all.

Typically (always?) the problem is the python-poppler-qt5 package. python-poppler-qt5 is a custom development by Wilbert Berendsen and provides the bindings to use the poppler library (for displaying PDF files) from Python and PyQt. Such bindings have to be compiled against the version of Qt that is actually installed on the system, which implies that upon *any* update to Qt the bindings have to be recompiled.

It seems this process isn't reliably performed in (some versions of?) Ubuntu, so I *assume* the problem is basically an issue for the Ubuntu package maintainer of python-poppler-qt5.

I wonder what platform F is developed on?

AFAIK there are several LInux flavours in use, and if I'm not mistaken also some Macs.
It's not that important because the failsafe solution is to compile the poppler bindings yourself (which of course guarantees that it works against the installed Qt version). However, I think this is nothing you should ask *users* for as a workaround because (IIRC) compiling this package was a rather involved process (you guess: getting the dependencies right ;-) ).

Urs

Andrew