Re: Auto-transposition

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Auto-transposition
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 20:40:54 -0600

On Sun 10 Dec 2017 at 20:37:03 (+0000), Neo Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to Lilypond, coming over from a commercial program. Please, bear with
> me as I'm still learning.
> The issue:
> I seem to get measures auto-transposed one by one.
> I have one bar of music, then the second one gets transposed one octave
> higher, the next one even one octave higher, and so on.
>
> Without /relative command, the x5 chords get messed up.I use variables but I
> get the same issue without them too.
> Minimal example auto-transpose-minimal.ly

If you write

hita = \relative c { … … … }

then \hita will always yield the same notes. The \relative
construction produces an absolute expression.

Never use \relative { } round the structure that describes your score
because any change you make will change the pitch relationship between
the last note of one variable and the first of the next. LP can manage
it, as you have just shown, but our brains can't keep track.

Cheers,
David.