Re: Question about the horizontal spacing

From: Rus
Subject: Re: Question about the horizontal spacing
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 23:47:05 +0300

>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>>  I'm not sure what you mean, but if you want to increase 'padding' so to
>>>  speak, you could do something like this:
>>>
>>>  { c d e f? \once
>>>   ?? \override Staff.BarLine.space-alist.next-note = #'(fixed-space . 5.5)
>>>   ?? c d e f }
>>>
>>>  See attached.
>>>
>>>  Does this look like what you mean?
>>  Thank you, but this does not look like I mean. I expanded your example (see
>> attached). As you can see, the first syllable of each bar has a different
>> space to the preceding bar line. I want the same space between the bar line
>> and the following lyrics syllable, not to the next note.
>
> ?
>
> If you remove the "once" then the override will apply *exactly *the same
> to each, moving forward - not just the first instance. Which I believe
> is what you want.
>
> See my new attachment.
>
> Can you share some code, if this is not what you're after? Thanks!
>
> %%%%%%
> \version "2.19.80"
>
>  ?{
>  ?? % default
>  ?? c d e f
>  ?? % remove once and it applies to all not just the first
>  ? \override Staff.BarLine.space-alist.next-note = #'(fixed-space . 5.5)
>  ?c d e f
>  ?c d e f
>  ?c d e f^"etc..."
>  ?}

It works well only without lyrics. With lyrics it works not well (see
attachment).

\version "2.18.2"
\score {
\new StaffGroup
<<
<<
\new Staff {
\relative c' {
\override Staff.BarLine.space-alist.next-note = #'(fixed-space . 3)
c d e f c d e f c d e f c d e f }
\addlyrics {
a bb cc dd
aa bb cc dd
aaaa bb cc dd
a bb cc dd

\new Staff {
\relative c' { c d e f c d e f c d e f c d e f }

>>  >> ?Hello!
>>  >> ?How can I control (I need to increase) the space between the bar line
>> and the following lyrics syllable?
>>  >> ?I use version 2.18.2
>>  >
>>  > Hi,
>>  >
>>  > I'm not sure what you mean, but if you want to increase 'padding' so to
>>  > speak, you could do something like this:
>>  >
>>  > { c d e f? \once
>>  > ?? \override Staff.BarLine.space-alist.next-note = #'(fixed-space . 5.5)
>>  > ?? c d e f }
>>  >
>>  > See attached.
>>  >
>>  > Does this look like what you mean?
>>  >
>>  Thank you, but this does not look like I mean. I expanded your example (see
>> attached). As you can see, the first syllable of each bar has a different
>> space to the preceding bar line. I want the same space between the bar line
>> and the following lyrics syllable, not to the next note.
>
> If you insist on keeping the barlines between the staves, then you
> need to perform an independent calculation for the first syllable
> in each measure, probably in scheme. I can't foresee LP ever
> supporting this criterion for lyrics placement.
>
> There are snippets in the repository which involve aligning lyrics,
> and these might help you see what's involved in these calculations.
> Alternatively, you could have some "potted" definitions for a
> sequence of lyric sizes (\threechar, \fivechar, sevenchar,?) and
> insert them into your music manually.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

\threechar, \fivechar, sevenchar - what do you mean? Tell me in detail.