Re: How to store lengths in variables

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: How to store lengths in variables
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 14:55:23 +0100

Hi Jan-Peter,

Am 12.12.2017 um 14:15 schrieb Jan-Peter Voigt:
Hi Urs,

as you already said units are only known inside the paper block, because they are dependent of the paper size an the global staff size. Inside the paper block the units are just numbers. If you want to multiply numbers you can do so outside the paper block like this:

xx = 2
yy = 3\xx
#(display yy) % will display '6'

One idea might be to store pairs or lists with the number and the unit name as a symbol. Inside the paper block a scheme-function can retrieve the unit factor and multiply it with the given value.

A rough sketch is attached.

Thank you. While I had to figure out how to adapt this to 2.18 I realized that the missing information was that I can turn the symbol "cm" into a value through ly:parser-lookup.

This works with 2.18, and I will further refine it (the idea is to store several sets of paper variables and select a set with a single function:

\version "2.18"

#(define paper-values
   '((top-margin . (5 . cm))
     (indent . (4 . cm))))

paperValue =
#(define-scheme-function (parser location val)(symbol?)
   (let*
    ((entry (assoc-ref paper-values val))
     (unit (ly:parser-lookup parser (cdr entry))))
     (* unit (car entry))))

\paper {
  indent = \paperValue #'indent
  top-margin = \paperValue #'top-margin