Re: Question about the horizontal spacing

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Question about the horizontal spacing
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 10:56:49 -0600

On Tue 12 Dec 2017 at 02:22:23 (+0300), Rus wrote:
> >>  It works well only without lyrics. With lyrics it works not well (see
> >> attachment).
> >>
> >>  \version "2.18.2"
> >>  \score {
> >>  \new StaffGroup
> >>  <<
> >>  <<
> >>  \new Staff {
> >>  \relative c' {
> >>  \override Staff.BarLine.space-alist.next-note = #'(fixed-space . 3)
> >>  c d e f c d e f c d e f c d e f }
> >>  \addlyrics {
> >>  a bb cc dd
> >>  aa bb cc dd
> >>  aaaa bb cc dd
> >>  a bb cc dd
> >>  }
> >>  } ...........
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I see what you mean but couldn't you just change it to Score.BarLine
> > then? It seems to work here, no? :)
> > (attached)
> >
> > --> \override *Score.BarLine.*space-alist.next-note = #'(fixed-space . 5)
> >
> > \version "2.18.2"
> > \score {
> > \new StaffGroup
> > <<
> > <<
> > \new Staff {
> > \relative c' {
> > \override *Score.BarLine.*space-alist.next-note = #'(fixed-space . 5)
> > c d e f c d e f c d e f c d e f }
> > \addlyrics {
> > a bb cc dd
> > aa bb cc dd
> > aaaa bb cc dd
> > a bb cc dd
> > }
> > }
> >  >>
> > \new Staff {
> > \relative c' { c d e f c d e f c d e f c d e f }
> > }
> >  >>
> > }
> >
> It works well with "5" \override Score.BarLine.space-alist.next-note =
> #'(fixed-space . 5), but I don't need much. I need 2, 3, or less. With 2 or 3
> it doesn't work.

It works for me, attached.

I looked through my scores and found a publication that mixes barlines
with lyrics: Bärenreiter BA 5014a (1961/1989) BWV 248. As a bass, this
affected me less than most as, apart from the general clutter, it only
directly interferes with ties and slurs.

I can see no extra space introduced before long lyric syllables except
what's necessary to avoid a collision with the barline. The gap is
often about as thin as the adjacent barline; to judge the actual
proportion would require a travelling microscope.

Cheers,
David.