Re: Auto-transposition

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Auto-transposition
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 19:29:03 -0500

Hi David,

>> Because my only goal was to clarify for future readers of the list that
>> "manipulations on stuff" are not the only thing that can cause headaches.
> I failed to see how cut and paste differed from manipulations on stuff.

I think of "manipulations on stuff" as being

foo = { stuff }
\transpose c d \foo
\foo \foo \foo
etc.

Cut and paste on the other hand, is this:

\relative {
  c'4 d e f g1  % a rising diatonic scale, starting on middle C
  g'4 f e d c1  % a falling diatonic scale, starting on the G a 12th above
middle C
  %  now I want to reuse the rising diatonic scale… so I cut and paste the
first line:
  c'4 d e f g1  % a rising diatonic scale, starting on middle C <-- FAIL!
}

>> For future list-readers: Using absolute and fixed entry modes allows you to
>> avoid the issues/effort described by David.
> If people would only cease bringing any questions about \relative
> to the list, we'd be able to avoid this particular drum beat.

Agreed. But I would offer that the reason people (esp. newbies) continually
bring questions about \relative to the list is because it's not as intuitive
and "idiot-proof" as our documentation would suggest — which is precisely why I
keep beating the drum, to try to keep people from making the same decade-long
mistake that I did (which was to use \relative, as suggested/implied in the
official documentation).

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer