Re: Auto-transposition

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: Auto-transposition
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 18:03:48 -0800

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Neo Anderson <address@hidden>
>> For future list-readers: Using absolute and fixed entry modes allows you to avoid the issues/effort described by David.
> If people would only cease bringing any questions about \relative
> to the list, we'd be able to avoid this particular drum beat.

Agreed. But I would offer that the reason people (esp. newbies) continually bring questions about \relative to the list is because it's not as intuitive and "idiot-proof" as our documentation would suggest — which is precisely why I keep beating the drum, to try to keep people from making the same decade-long mistake that I did (which was to use \relative, as suggested/implied in the official documentation).

Cheers,
Kieren.

I haven't found any problems with \relative that can't be solved by using another \relative.  Except the clef issue.

Using \fixed to solve or avoid these issues is no less work than using additional \relative's, and arguably has some down sides:

    * needing more ,,, and '''--or needing more \fixed with different reference octaves to avoid that typing
    * making you think in terms of absolute octaves (not something most musicians are familiar with)
    * a single octave mistake in fixed mode will not be as visible, and will not be as easy to find

In terms of this ongoing discussion, I think it will be most helpful to be clear about what these common problems with \relative are.  Here are the ones I've encountered:

    * volta alternatives: the octave of the 2nd ending is based on the previous printed note (the last note of the 1st ending), and and not the previous musical note (the last note of the common section)
    * tags: including or excluding tags that change octaves will change the octave of what follows
    * changing the last note of one phrase may affect the octave of the subsequent phrase

So, my suggestion is when you find yourself using volta alternatives, tags, or long pieces, just get in the habit of wrapping each one in a new \relative.

Does anyone have any other circumstances where \relative is problematic?

And the behavior of \relative that is weirdest:

    * The octave of \relative is lowered when used with bass clef.

The fix for the clef issue is to use a \transpose when you use it with bass clef.

HTH,

David Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "Confusion is highly underrated"
address@hidden
skype: flaming_hakama
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist