Re: Auto-transposition

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: Auto-transposition
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 09:48:48 -0800

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 7:57 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Flaming Hakama by Elaine <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Flaming Hakama by Elaine <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> And the behavior of \relative that is weirdest:
>>>
>>>     * The octave of \relative is lowered when used with bass clef.
>>>
>>> The fix for the clef issue is to use a \transpose when you use it
>>> with bass clef.
>>
>> That one is nonsense.  \relative does not interact in any way with the
>> bass clef.
>
>> Best guess: choral music with tenor (injudiciously) written in \clef
>> "treble" rather than \clef "treble_8" confused your sense of octave.
>

> Actually, I think it had to do with midi output for bass clarinet.   The
> sample I used was not transposed the octave, and I had to compensate by
> transposing the music down.

According to Wikipedia, bass clarinet is written in treble clef but
played one octave lower than written (after subtracting the usual B♭
transposition).  So, uh, I have no idea?

--
David Kastrup

Correct, I'd entered the music in the printed octave,
and wanted to hear it in the sounding octave.

Elaine