Re: (modified) Ben Johnston tuning system script

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: (modified) Ben Johnston tuning system script
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 17:39:01 +0100

Hi Hans,

please ping me if I don't get back to you after getting home.

Urs

Am 23. Dezember 2017 16:33:49 MEZ schrieb All Fifths Tuning <address@hidden>:
Dear fellow Lilypond-users,

I would like to write music in just intonation.

I would like to make a script similar to the (great!) Sagittal script of
Graham Breed (http://x31eq.com/lilypond/) but for the so called Ben
Johnston tuning system (BJTS) (I've noticed there was some discussion
about it a while ago).

The BJTS identifies every just interval as a discrete note, so there is
not one the same.

I use the so called Pythagorean scale as my basenotes (here I differ
from the original tuning system) C - D - E - F - G - A - B. These
basenotes are raised or lowered with all sorts of comma's and chroma's
to represent the appropriate pitch.

This means that every ratio corresponds with a specific note name.

I've reworked a linux based tuner to accommodate the BJTS
(https://github.com/brummer10/gxtuner), there I "calculate" every
notename from the ratio.

I would like to gather some advice about how I could create a script for
Lilypond.

Is it possible anyway?

What would be a good route to follow?

For example I could make a list of intervals with corresponding
notenames or I can make notename "calculator".

Are there tutorials for scripting with Lilypond?

I'll be happy to spend some time on this subject, so I don't mind a
(steep) learning curve.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Hans