Re: Vintage Jazz Chords post in 2011 - Howto get it to display on Fresco

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Vintage Jazz Chords post in 2011 - Howto get it to display on Fresco?
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 09:08:09 -0600

On Dec 25, 2017, at 5:41 PM, James Harkins <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > I pasted this into Frescabaldi...
>>
>> you have to paste it to where lilypond can find it. That is not necessarily
>> the font directory of lilypond, but I think that is not a wrong place.
>> lilypond does not have frescobaldi in the search path.
>
> As I read the original post, it's quite plausible that the poster pasted the
> LilyPond code into Frescobaldi and expected immediate display of music.
>
> But Frescobaldi, with (AFAIK) default settings, displays nothing until you
> engrave the document (command in the menu labeled "LilyPond").
>
> Daryl's exact words: "there were no error, but it didn't display anything!"
>
> That's exactly what would happen if you put LP code into the editor but don't
> engrave it. (But, if he were engraving an LP document that depends on
> LilyJazz without installing LilyJazz, certainly he would get errors.)
>
> So I think the disconnect may be more basic than any of the replies so far
> have addressed.
>
> Daryl: After pasting the code into Frescobaldi, you need to hit ctrl-m
> (Windows or Linux) or cmd-m (Mac).

I don't know how new Daryl is to Lilypond, but as noted pasting and compiling
lilyjazz will do nothing useful.  It is intended to be used with the \include
command to tell Lilypond how to format chords and also to use a font intended
to mimic the look of the Real Books.  An example of that was given in an
earlier post upthread.

Daryl, read up on the use of \include.