Re: \new Dynamics spacing

From: Trevor
Subject: Re: \new Dynamics spacing
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2018 16:36:25 +0000

Hi Dave

You  wrote 06/01/2018 14:27:43:

\version "2.18.2"
\relative c' {
\time 3/8
c4 c16 c
<< { c4 c16 c } \new Dynamics { s32 s\< s\> s\! } >>
}

If you compile this, the \new Dynamics adds a bunch of white space between the first two notes. I understand what's happening, i.e. it's spacing each silence as the size of a note head. How would I change that spacing?

This is probably what you are seeking:

\version "2.18.2"
\relative c' {
  \time 3/8
  c4 c16 c
  <<
    { c4 c16 c }
    \new Dynamics {
      \newSpacingSection
      \override Score.SpacingSpanner.spacing-increment = #0.1
      s32 s\< s\> s\!
    }

  \newSpacingSection
  \revert Score.SpacingSpanner.spacing-increment
  c4 c16 c

Sorry it's a bit cumbersome - hope you don't have too many to adjust!

You can read about it in the 2.18 manuals here:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/new-spacing-area

Trevor