Re: New information (success report) for Frescobaldi 3 and the Ubuntu 16

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: New information (success report) for Frescobaldi 3 and the Ubuntu 16.04 repositories
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 09:18:59 +0100

Am 07.01.2018 um 07:43 schrieb Blöchl Bernhard:
I planned to try the installation following the new description Satureday evening
https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/wiki/Installing-Frescobaldi-3-on-Linux-(Package-or-Source)
but had some drinks with friends in the evening ...

I just read the description and found:

Note: As the desktop file will not read the PYTHONPATH environment variable defined in .bashrc, the easiest solution is installing python-ly through the package manager (it should be called python3-ly in most distributions); or pip (sudo pip3 install python-ly), in case you need the latest version.

I don't know how this can still be on that page, I was *sure* that I had already removed it. Arrgh.

I installed frescobaldi 2 and 3 repeatedly and as I remember both imperatively need python-ly version 0.9.5. The actual ubuntu distribution repositories provide python-ly version 0.9.3-1. That does not work!

To avoid trouble I would recommend to cancel "installing python-ly through the package manager" because python-ly version 0.9.3-1 provided by the package manager  does not work!

Of course! It explicitly contradicts what is written earlier on: "the dependencies should be installed through the distribution packages and not through Pip "

I'll try to find the time today to fix it ...

Urs

Regards BB