Re: (modified) Ben Johnston tuning system script

From: Graham Breed
Subject: Re: (modified) Ben Johnston tuning system script
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 18:13:29 +0000

On 28/12/17 13:16, allfifthstuning wrote:
I've described my method of determining a note name (see attachment).

Currently I'm reading the scheme git book
(https://scheme-book.ursliska.de/) which is very helpful.

Do I understand correctly that to determine the right note name with EH
and Sagittal notation that a ratio is checked against a list of ratios
and corresponding glyphs?

The two work differently. Both factorize the ratio (relative to the base notes). Sagittal converts that into an equal temperament, and then assigns a string (not always a single glyph) to each step of the equal temperament. (This is not quite how Sagittal should work.)

For Helmholtz notation, the factorized ratio maps to a set of glyphs used for notating small intervals, one for each prime number. Then it combines those glyphs to get a string for the full accidental. The same process should work for Johnston notation.

             Graham