GSoC applications

From: lists
Subject: GSoC applications
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 08:15:48 +0000

Hi all,

I send this to the lilypond-user list because I think it's the best union of potential readers from the LilyPond and Frescobaldi communities.

<disclaimer>I have done some work and I will be available, but I will invest substantially less energy than in the previous two years to get this on the way. I really hope there will be sufficient community engagement or someone taking responsibility.</disclaimer>

Currently applications for organizations are open for the Google Summer of Code 2018. LilyPond is under the umbrella of the GNU Project (as usual), and I have submitted the application for Frescobaldi as its own organization. For both organizations' applications it is important that there are good project suggestions pages available, Frescobaldi is an extremely small "organization", and even GNU can't simply expect to be admitted (last year it was quite close).

I have started to update the pages
http://lilypond.org/google-summer-of-code.html
https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code

by purging unmaintained projects and adding a few new ones. Interesting LilyPond projects that don't have mentors are listed here:
http://lilypond.org/attic.html#Inactive-Google-Summer-of-Code-project-suggestions

In order to attract good students I think we should have a few more project suggestions on the pages, and for the applications as organizations it is really important to have more potential mentors assigned to projects - I don't think it looks good that I am listed as mentor for eight out of thirteen project suggestions. In addition, in recent years it usually was complicated to eventually distribute "slots" to projects. Essentially we lost a few possible slots because we couldn't assign mentors to projects.

So, I encourage, no, I urge everybody to look into their souls whether they might volunteer to mentor a project (not only those listed already but also new suggestions). But I will not pressure any further after this email, so if there are no volunteers we may not be successful with GSoC this year.
Mentoring *is* a responsibility and it *does* take some time. But after all, it's not that much time, and it's a quite rewarding responsibility.

Best
Urs