Re: Two conflicting text spanners

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Two conflicting text spanners
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 10:58:31 -0600

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Neo,
>
>> I was afraid that without any instructions the code in that thread would
>> fail,
>> but to my surprise it worked beautifully! Thank you!
>
> You're welcome. From what I understand, the code has some issues, but it
> seemed like it would solve your use case.
>
>> I wonder why this isn't coded into LP itself or provided as a snippet
>> with the software or in some repository (or am I mistaken?)
>
> As far as I know, you're not mistaken: it's not in the codebase, nor provided
> as a snippet. I would imagine the limitations (see the email thread) are a
> sufficient obstacle to the functionality being considered for the main
> codebase…

I'm sure there is a bug somewhere, but the problem reported in the
thread was solved later in the thread :)

and even if not, the path to getting a patch created, submitted,
reviewed, and accepted can be long and steep, and perhaps David N has
higher-priority ways he is applying his Lilypond-based time at the
moment.

> I believe there is general agreement that all spanners should support ids,
> but there are evidently technical hurdles to making this happen.

My goal for the semester break is to get my measure-attached spanner
patch submitted.  I've been sitting on it for far too long.  With the
simultaneous spanners I'm not sure how I ought to proceed.  I thought
there was some GSoC work on spanner-ids, so I hesitate to work this
into the C++ code (as Thomas Morley proposed) and interfere somehow or
contribute something with very limited shelf life.  Really, I don't
know.  Does anyone know more about this subject?

David