Re: Transposition

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Transposition
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 15:43:48 -0500

Hi Tom,

> I have a piece of music written in different transpositions.
> I want to transform it to a piece in one transposition.

Likely, a nice Scheme function or engraver could work that out for you.
Unfortunately, that's beyond my [essentially non-existent] Scheme-fu…

In the absence of that type of solution, perhaps something like this would work
for you?

\version "2.19.80"

trapI = \relative c' { a }
trapII = \relative c' { \transposition f' c e g f bes }
trapIII = \relative c' { \transposition bes' c e }

{
  \trapI
  \trapII
  \trapIII
}

{
  \trapI
  \transpose c f, \trapII
  \transpose c bes, \trapIII
}

Ultimately, I would recommend always trying to enter your music in concert
pitch, if possible — you can use tools like Frescobaldi to make this easier.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info