Re: GSoC applications

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: GSoC applications
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 23:27:09 +0100

Hi Kieren,

Am 13.01.2018 um 21:15 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi Urs,

In theory the answer is simple: A good project for GSoC is something a student
can achieve with three months of full-time work. Not more, but also not less.
Generally, for larger projects it's beneficial if it can be somehow
modularized, i.e. it should not be one monolithic feature that can just be
completed or not. So if progress is slower there is simply less functionality
completed rather than the whole thing failed.
I note that all the Lyric improvements are no longer listed as a GSoC project.
What's the reason there?

Are you sure that this was really listed as GSoC project? I went through all git commits touching that page back to 2012 and couldn't find a reference to removing any Lyrics project. But anyway, all GSoC projects that are still considered valuable but don't explicitly have a mentor have been moved to the "attic" over the last years.

In addition to the stuff that Janek was actively working on — now quite a while ago —
there was a flurry of discussion not too long about about whether LyricText could have
some "fixed versus flexible" springs-and-rods mechanism(s), so that lyrics
don't always distort note-spacing. I think this project would easily fill up three months
of full-time work, but could also be modularized.

That would be the project I most want to see completed (or at least
significantly tackled/advanced).

I agree that this looks like a great GSoC project. However, to see it listed on the GSoC page you should lobby for someone volunteering as a primary mentor.

Best
Urs

Thanks,
Kieren.