left-margin when cropped

From: Urs Liska
Subject: left-margin when cropped
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 00:02:57 +0100

Hi all,

is it possible to produce a cropped PDF that *still* has a defined left-margin?

The use case is that I want to produce a score system-by-system using the code from lilypond-book-preamble.ly, for inclusion in a LaTeX document. And I want the first barline (system-start-delimiter) to align with the text, similar to how protrusion is handled for characters.

However, the output is cropped to the *printed elements*, which includes elements like the system start bracket/brace etc. Unfortunately the width of these element depends on the actual score (a brace over three staves is wider than over two for example), so it is unknown where the *system-start-delimiter* will be.

The attached image shows (in the first score fragment) how that will be aligned with the surrounding text.

The second score fragment in the attachment shows how I would like the result to be. For that I created a *regular* score with manually tweaked paper dimensions and a left-margin of 5mm. If I offset the image in LaTeX by 5mm to the left the barline will be exactly where I want it to be.

What I basically need is a way to have an image *cropped* but still have a defined left-margin. Is there any possibility to achieve that within LilyPond?

One idea I had was adjusting the x-extent of Score.systemStartBrace and the other possible brackets. Since the extent of objects is respected by the cropping I can indeed change the cropping. But a) this is measured in staff spaces, not absolute units (OK, one could probably get over that hurdle) and b) it is only *one* part of the equation. For example, if there is a (short) instrument name then increasing the x-extent of the brace will not do what I want but create additional padding between the instrument name and the brace.

Any hints would be appreciated

Urs