Re: Issues about optical spacing

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Issues about optical spacing
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 16:06:47 +0100

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 8:33 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I [...] submit this article which discusses the topic in detail.
>>
>> https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cache//b/b/p/bbp2372.2002.097/bbp2372.2002.097.pdf#page=2;zoom=75
>>
>> I would love to see Lilypond incorporate this improved algorithm
>> [...]
>
> This sounds like an interesting GSoC project!  Han-Wen, would you like
> to mentor this?

umm, no, but if somebody wants to improve the spacing algorithm of
Lilypond, they are welcome to.

I didn't look deeply into the article, but figure 5 on p.478 has me
wondering what it would look like for different rhythms. Spacing
polyphonic music is inherently a tradeoff, so I expect this technique
to produce undesirable artifacts in other situations (but maybe in
situations that are more rare.)