Re: Phrasing slurs on two-voice stave

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Phrasing slurs on two-voice stave
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 07:59:35 -0500

On 1/22/2018 7:09 AM, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
Hi List,

I have the following:

---------------------
\version "2.19.80"

\relative c {
  \clef bass
  \time 4/8
 <<
   { \stemDown d16\( f a f d a' f d\) }
   \\
   { \stemUp d8. f16 d4 }

}
---------------------

What I'm trying to do is ensure that the phrasing slur extends to the last note of the bar. Problem is, the client wants the 16th notes on the lower voice, but the slur above. I've been using \stemDown and \stemUp to flip the stem directions, but this causes problems, as here, where the slur collides with the other voice's stems. Is there a more elegant/effective way of doing this? It also has to work for phrasing slurs across several measures.

Hi,

Personally, I would probably want the slur on the bottom as it's cleaner and easier to implement, but I guess you could play around and offset the slur to taste...
[see attached]

You may have to compromise on what the finished slur looks like if it *must* be on top but, I hope this helps! :)

\version "2.19.80"

\relative c {
  \clef bass
  \time 4/8

 <<
   \shape #'((0 . 0) (0 . 3.5) (0 . 1.5) (0 . 0)) PhrasingSlur
   { \stemDown d16\( f a f d a' f d\) }
   \\
   { \stemUp d8. f16 d4 }