Re: Lead sheet with variables

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Lead sheet with variables
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 12:40:21 -0600

On Tue 23 Jan 2018 at 11:58:39 (-0600), Tim McNamara wrote:

> > On Jan 23, 2018, at 9:23 AM, JH Austin <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > I tried to modify the Lead Sheet example by using a variable:
> > -----------
> > \version "2.19.40"
> >
> > \music =   \relative c'' {
> >    a4 e c8 e r4
> >    b2 c4( d)
> >  }
> > \score {
> > <<
> >  \chords { c2 g:sus4 f e }
> >  \music
> >  \addlyrics { One day this shall be free __ }
> >>>

> I think there should be >> here to match the << under \score.  Instead your
> example has something else.  AFAIK every bracket, parenthesis, etc., in
> Lilypond has to be balanced:  { }  ( )  << >> etc.  Not having the needed one
> will result in the compilation failing in most if not all cases.

It looks as if you have a problem with your mail client quoting.
In the line after addlyrics, there should be a space before the
last two > characters which has gone missing in your post.

These two characters belong to the quoted text and are what
correctly closes the << above. So, to spell it out, in this line:

The first "> " is me quoting you,
the second ">" (which has lost its following space for some
reason best known to you) is you quoting the OP, and the
final ">> " was LP source originally written by the OP.

Cheers,
David.