Re: more Lead sheet with variables

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: more Lead sheet with variables
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 00:24:14 +0100

Dear Joseph,

I would like to suggest to read the learning manual. Many of these
issues are explained there. It really helps.

To your 3rd question:

% You started with the simplest form:

<<
  \chords { a4:m }
  \relative c' { a b }
  \addlyrics { a }

% Lilypond does many things behind the scenes there. To make it more
% explicit, you could also write the following lines.

<<
  \new ChordNames \chordmode { a4:m }
  \new Staff \new Voice = "voice" \relative c' { a b }
  \new Lyrics \lyricmode { a }  % or \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voice" { a }

% Now, you are ready to replace the content of each context with
% variables. You need to tell Lilypond the entry mode for your
% variables and the context in your score setup:

harmony = \chordmode {a4:m }
melody = \relative c' { a b }
words = \lyricmode { a }
<<
  \new ChordNames \harmony
  \new Staff \new Voice = "voice" \melody
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voice" \words

% Please note, that this example is identical with the one before, if
% you replace the variables with their right hand side again.

In short (and only roughly correct):
\chords = \new ChordNames + \chordmode
{ }     = \new Staff + { }
\addlyrics = \new Lyrics + \lyricmode

It works the same way for \figures, \drums.

I cannot explain why sometimes \lyricsto "voice" and \lyricmode works
together and sometimes not.

Cheers,
Joram