Alignment of full-page scores in text documents

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Alignment of full-page scores in text documents
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:03:46 +0100

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the best setting for page margins for mixed text/music documents. The task is to automatically set the margins in LilyPond depending on a LaTeX document where full-page scores are included.

We have the horizontal margins more or less fixed, by default LilyPond's staff symbol will exactly match LaTeX's linewidth. When naively setting LilyPond's vertical margins to those of the text the result is (expectedly) rather ppor, as you can see here: https://github.com/jperon/lyluatex/issues/29#issuecomment-361159545. What I would basically want to achieve is mathing the outermost *staff lines* with the text's type area.

When manually trying different values I found that I would like the topmost staffline align not with the actual margin but the X-height of the corresponding text. This can be seen here: https://github.com/jperon/lyluatex/issues/29#issuecomment-361162799

On that same image the bottom staff line is aligned to the baseline of the text, and I'm not sure if that is the right choice. Somehow the score visually looks lower than the text, and I wonder whether there should be a similar amount of padding like at the top margin. But of course there is no "natural" reference point here.

What is your opinion on this issue?

Best
Urs