Re: aligning lyrics to hidden notes

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: aligning lyrics to hidden notes
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:51:59 -0700 (MST)

Hi Sandro,

Indeed, Phil's query regarding your LilyPond version is the pivotal
question. For two reasons:

First reason
NullVoice has been introduced in Version 2.18 (as far as I know)

Second reason
Current development version 2.19.80 (and before) won't have the problem

Stripping down your case to a minimal example makes it clear what you want
to achieve:

%%%
\version "2.18.2"

mel = \relative { c4 c 'g g }
bas = \relative { \clef bass c4 r c r f^"End of NullVoice" r c r }

\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice \bas
    \new NullVoice \mel

}
%%%

Print out the bass part while still keeping the lyrics (for orientation or
whatever reasons).
You're using NullVoice in order to get the lyrics aligned to the (invisible)
melody.

I've omitted the lyrics because the combination of "normal" Voice and
NullVoice is all we need to see the effect - NullVoice seems to push down
all the rests as if there was polyphony.
In my simple example, you can see that the stem direction flips, i. e. the
notes themselves behave as they should (\oneVoice), whereas the rests drop
down as if in \voiceTwo.

In bar 2, NullVoice stops and - lo and behold - the rests are back in
place... Strange...

I'd call it a bug, but there has been some recent work on NullVoice and
meanwhile, in 2.19.80 (and before), everything seems to be OK.

NullVoice-rests-2-18-2.png
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/NullVoice-rests-2-18-2.png>
Strange NullVoice effect on rest position in 2.18.2

In 2.18.2, you can set \override Rest.staff-position = #0 to force the rests
back, or use a development version.

All the best,
Torsten