My quick rundown of how to use OpenLilyLib's Edition Engraver

From: Stefano Troncaro
Subject: My quick rundown of how to use OpenLilyLib's Edition Engraver
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:36:48 -0300

Hello again everyone!

In a recent thread I was asked to write a little bit depicting how I would have liked to learn about using the Edition Engraver. I share it here so that others can give their insights. Hopefully we can make a "quick start guide" kind of thing to help future users.

I'll say it ended up being longer than I anticipated. I formatted it a little to improve readability. Here it goes:

My quick rundown of how to use OpenLilyLib's Edition Engraver
(OR I wish I could have read this instead of having to learn by poking example code with a stick)

What is it?

In a nutshell, the Edition Engraver provides a convenient way of storing a tweaks, overrides and other objects that can later be applied to some musical content.

Why use it?

To keep the "musical source" of a project free from tweaks, temporary overrides, and tagged material that needs to be filtered later. This serves to generate code that is clean, reusable and has clarity of purpose, meaning it's fast to read and understand.

How is it used?

In summary, by following this four logical steps:
  1. Load the Edition Engraver into the project.
  2. Create an edition (a container to store the edits)
  3. Fill the edition with content.
  4. Consist the contents of the edition to the musical contexts to which they apply.

Each step explained:

Assuming OpenLilyLib is already installed on your working environment, include it's core functionality:

\include "oll-core/package.ily"

Then, load the Edition Engraver itself:

\loadPackage edition-engraver

2) Creating an edition

Just use the \addEdition command. Like this:

\addEdition edition-name

3) Filling the edition with content

The most basic way to do this is by using the \editionMod command. It is used as follows:

\editionMod edition measure position context content

Breaking it apart:
  • edition specifies in what edition the content is stored.
  • measure specifies in what measure of the music the content is to be placed.
  • position specifies where where exactly in that measure the content is to be placed.
  • context specifies in what context the content belongs.
  • content specifies, finally, what should be placed there.
So, this means that

\editionMod my-edition 5 0/4 Score \break

will store in my-edition that a \break needs to be placed in the Score context, in measure 5, specifically at 0/4, which is its first beat.

3.1) About the position value

The way I understand it is that this is the amount of musical time that is counted from the start of the given measure. A few useful examples:
  • 0/4 will not add anything, so it references the first beat of the measure.
  • 3/8 will count three 8th notes / quavers from the start of the measure. In 4/4 time this would reference the second half of the second beat.
  • 1/24 will count one 16th note / semiquaver of a 16th note triplet. If the measure starts with 16th note triplets, this will point to the second note of the measure. The fraction is expressed like this because there are 24 "tripleted 16th notes" in a whole note.

3.2) About referencing contexts

Precise control can be achieved by giving IDs to contexts. This is done with the \editionID command:

\new Staff \with { \editionID my-staff } {
  \new Voice { c4 d e f }
}

This ID can be used like this:

\editionMod test 1 2/4 my-staff.Staff \accidentalStyle dodecaphonic
\editionMod test 1 3/4 my-staff.Voice.A \override NoteHead.color = #red

Notice that even though the ID my-staff points to a specific Staff, \editionMod still needs to know specifically where you need to inject the content. So, my-staff.Staff puts it in the Staff context, while my-staff.Voice.A puts it in the first Voice inside the Staff.

Voices are listed in the order they are created, starting with the symbol A, and each Staff keeps a separate count. The Edition Engraver produces a ".edition.log" file listing all the contexts it finds along with their names. This is useful to work with music that requires spontaneous creation of Voices, such as piano music, where naming them provides a straightforward way of finding how to reference them.

Say you have an "example.ly" file with the following music:

\new Staff \with { \editionID my-staff } {
  \new Voice = "main-voice" \relative c'' {
    c4 d e f
    << { \voiceOne e d c2 }
       \new Voice = "spontaneous-voice" { \voiceTwo g2 e } >>

This will produce an "example.edition.log" file that, among other things, will have the following:

(my-staff Voice A) "main-voice"
(my-staff Voice B) "spontaneous-voice"

While the Score context can't be instantiated, an ID can be given to a \score block in it's \layout block, like this:

\score {
  ... nice music goes here ...
  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      \editionID my-score

This very useful when you need specific edits for parts that you want to keep out of the full score.

And while references can grow long pretty quickly, fortunately they can be stored in variables:

referenceOne = my-score.my-staff.Voice.A
referenceTwo = my-other-score.my-staff.Voice.B

And then used like this:

\editionMod test 1 3/4 \referenceOne ->

3.2.1) A warning

Keep bottom level content to bottom level contexts. See this example:

\version "2.19.80"

\include "oll-core/package.ily"
\loadPackage edition-engraver

\addEdition example
\editionMod example 1 0/4 good-staff.Voice.A \once \override NoteHead.color = #red
\editionMod example 1 0/4 bad-staff.Voice.A \once \override NoteHead.color = #red
\consistToContexts #edition-engraver Staff.Voice

\score {
  \new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff \with { \editionID good-staff } {
      \new Voice { \clef C c' d' e' f' }
    }
    \new Staff \with { \editionID bad-staff } {
      \clef C \new Voice { c' d' e' f' }

Running this shows that good-staff has a red first note, while bad-staff doesn't. This is because on the second Staff the \clef command is tacitly in a Voice that has no length. This kind of tacit Voice creation produces strange results. This is easily avoided by moving the \clef command inside the Voice that has actual music, like good-staff shows.

4) Consisting to contexts

This is done with the \consistToContexts command, like this:

\consistToContexts #edition-engraver contexts.separated.by.dots

The contexts absent from the dot-separated list will not be modified. So, for instance:

\editionMod test 1 0/4 my-score.Score \tempo "Adagio."
\editionMod test 1 0/4 my-other-score.my-staff.Staff \tempo "Adagio."
\consistToContexts #edition-engraver Staff.Voice

Will create a TempoChangeEvent in my-other-score, since the instruction is to create it in the Staff context, but leave my-score untouched.

Hopefully this will be enough to get anyone started. There is more functionality than this, as far as I know the only way to get a look into it is by examining the `usage-examples` folder in the Edition Engraver repository.

I'll be waiting for your input!
Stéfano