Re: Pitch inflection

From: Michael Taylor
Subject: Re: Pitch inflection
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 10:00:06 -0500

Thank you for your message. I am hoping to reproduce the arrow notation used by the composer,
rather than substituting a different notational convention (which this composer has employed in other pieces).
The fact that he implies a difference between a slightly lowered F & a slightly raised E makes me think that he
is seeking to inflect the note rather than achieving an identifiable quartertone. Thank you also for alerting me to the
resources you mentioned which I had not found.

MT

On 30 January 2018 at 09:16, Hans Åberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 29 Jan 2018, at 22:39, Michael Taylor <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I am transcribing sketches in which small pitch adjustments are notated using up & down arrows. As my aim is to reproduce the composer's notation as closely as possible I don't want to substitute quarter-tone symbols. Is there a simple way to insert arrows in place of accidentals? Playback is not an issue.

One can use Helmholtz-Ellis notation in E53 using OpenLilyLib, SMuFL, and Graham Breed's regular.ly.