Re: duration longer than meter?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: duration longer than meter?
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 23:15:37 +0100

> Hi Blöchl
>
>> Why does not message me lilypond a warning (or something else) if I do this?
>
> Because Lilypond is not a music theory instruction application.  ;)
>
>> I can work on i. e.
>> \relative c'' {
>> d4  cis8  c8  b8. ais8  a  gis a b c
>> }
>> No problem for lilypond!
>
> Ha! Take that, Finale and Sibelius!!

You can also do something like

\version "2.19.81"

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \consists #(make-engraver
                (listeners
                 ((note-event self event)
                  (if (ly:moment<?
                       (ly:moment-sub (ly:context-property
                                       (ly:translator-context self)
                                       'measureLength)
                                      (ly:context-property
                                       (ly:translator-context self)
                                       'measurePosition))
                       (ly:duration-length (ly:event-property event 'duration)))
                      (ly:event-warning event "Crosses bar!")))))

\relative c'' {
  d4  cis8  c8  b8. ais8  a  gis a b c
}
but this one isn't good for polyrhythmic situations (and obviously not
for Renaissance and other music crossing bar lines freely).  Then you
should rather put it where you moved the Timing alias.

--
David Kastrup