Re: Tweaking Hairpin shape

From: Stefano Troncaro
Subject: Re: Tweaking Hairpin shape
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 16:30:26 -0300

Thank you! This is a workable starting point. However, it raised a few questions.

1) I noticed that rotating the grob doesn't work well with automatic collision detection, since the grob skylines are still where they would be for the unrotated grob. See this example code and the attached images:
\version "2.19.80"
\language "english"

tweaks = {
  \once \override Hairpin.rotation = #'(9 0 0)
  %\once \override Hairpin.extra-offset = #'(0 . -1)
}

\score {
  \new Staff \relative c' { \time 2/2 \tweaks d8[^\<(^"some really long text here!" e f g a b c d]\!) |
                            <e c g g,>4\arpeggio  }
  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      \override Hairpin.height = #0.5
This makes me hesitate for the same reason that using extra-offset does: I'd want to tweak the shape of the Hairpins and have Lilypond automatically work out the correct spacing between different grobs and staves. So, how can I make it so that the skylines are also updated when I rotate the grob? Or, if internally the grob is first placed and then rotated, how can I make it so that the rotation occurs before Lilypond calculates the positioning and spacing of grobs?

Lastly, regarding my need for a slight horizontal displacement:
2) I've tried modifying many properties, and so far Hairpin.X-offset and Hairpin.extra-offset are the only ones that appear to do something close to what I need. If I could somehow change the length of the Hairpin I could use X-offset in conjunction with, for example, X-extent to effectively move both the starting and ending point in the X axis. Using this approach would have the advantage of conserving proper collision detection while being easy to wrap inside a function. But I don't know why X-extent doesn't work here.

Any ideas?