Re: endless tab?

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: endless tab?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 13:15:22 +1100

Hi bb,

Do you simply want 17/16? I use times like this very often. Just use \time 17/16 and you will get barlines.

But I think you are algorithmically generating the notes and durations, in which case, why can't you also generate the /time commands for each section where you want a particular time signature?

My hand written pieces often change time sig every bar, and with any sort of signature you like - lilypond handles that just fine, and places barlines as expected. I use 15/16 commonly. Not a problem. And in fact I hide the time signatures (for reasons not relevant to this topic) so you can do that too if you want, and still have barlines.

This is a deeply nested thread so it's hard to read. Apologies if I have entirely missed the point!

Andrew

Again old arguments. Imagine two experiments:

Case 1: I set an arbitrary bar (the manual calls it "bar check")
\version "2.19.80"
\relative { d''4  cis8  c8  b8. ais8  a  gis | }
That enables lilypond to checking the bar content and tells me in this case that the check failed ...
17/16 is > 4/4

Case 2: lilypond is setting the barline on the same position (wrong/critcal, however you might call it)
\version "2.19.80"
\relative { d''4  cis8  c8  b8. ais8  a  gis  }
The bar content is 17/16>4/4 again and tells NOTHING!
As there is set a barline lilypond can check the bar content and ....
Nobody has explained me why in this case lilypond should not be able to use its algorithm to find 17/16 ? The algorithm is existing - use it for this as well!