Re: endless tab?

From: bb
Subject: Re: endless tab?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 17:23:49 +0100

Am 06.02.2018 um 15:35 schrieb David Wright:
On Tue 06 Feb 2018 at 09:33:41 (+0100), Blöchl Bernhard wrote:
Am 06.02.2018 03:15, schrieb Andrew Bernard:
Hi bb,

Do you simply want 17/16? I use times like this very often. Just use
time 17/16 and you will get barlines.

Thank you! This is a possibilty if one really wants 17/16. I do not.
But lilypond does not serve the sloppy user perfectly from using
such constructs inattentively - lilypond could do!
So your concern is just for LP to issue warnings about *your*
inattentiveness so you can debug your scores.
Seems to be an awesomeness to claim eventually support from a program to to give a fair warning if I am wrong? I miss some logic in the behaviour of lilypond in this case. But I realize that is the best of all possilties in our world because all tell me so.

It doesn't seem to
matter to you that people writing perfectly correct scores are going
to be inundated with false warnings.

You've already brought this up under another thread, and
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2018-01/msg00599.html
gave an example of the reason why LP does not issue warnings
unless you add | characters.

I do not claim lilypond to change my code but I wrote this as an example for what lilypond might do instead of setting questionable barlines. (I am awaiting some mail in short time that explains me that this is not questionable/wrong/critical or whatever for some reason - might it be the practice of Chopin or whoever.

Therefore let me point out: I see this behavour of lilypond as a great, great feature and the best and greatest of the world!

Hope that satisfies anybody to the end of the days.

My hand written pieces often change time sig every bar, and with any
sort of signature you like - lilypond handles that just fine, and
places barlines as expected. I use 15/16 commonly. Not a problem. And
in fact I hide the time signatures (for reasons not relevant to this
topic) so you can do that too if you want, and still have barlines.
For this case I think it's better to \omit the bar check.
Passing over the fact that one doesn't \omit bar checks,
one omits writing | characters as bar checks,
irregular measure lengths would be a particularly good
occasion to employ a | at the end of every measure.

[…]

I find it remarkable that warnings arise "one bar later". I would
understand this behaviour , if the first bar is not completed and
there is missing something to fill the bar - bit in this case
lilypond is not seting a bar line. Butt remeber that the first bar
is overstuffed by 1/16.
OK, you've made your remark. Could you now turn your attention
to the varieties of musical notation practice.
Indeed it was my realistic ambition to do my work. I hope your clarifying mail will give you relief and does not harm your karma. My karma is still intact.

With your reminder mail you might force more reactions - I will ignore in the future!

Cheers,
David.