Re: Gis major key signature; Lily's key signature algorithm

From: Blöchl Bernhard
Subject: Re: Gis major key signature; Lily's key signature algorithm
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 09:38:31 +0100

Am 08.02.2018 01:08, schrieb Urs Liska:
Am 07.02.2018 um 22:56 schrieb Blöchl Bernhard:
If you use equally tempered scale f♭ major is really identical with e major. (That is not true in just tempered tuning.) May be with my limited knowledge of music I misunderstood something?

Maybe you should start sudying music as an artistic and historical
matter instead of just an abstract or mathematical model.

Schwanengesang has 4 ♭s. Concerning to the circle of fifth that is f minor or a♭ major. That is not the same as f♭ major as mentioned in the original mail?

If you can't even tell if that song is in a flat major or f minor you
shouldn't even start discussing this.
Apart from that I already explained that this song's main key is a
flat major and that it moves on to reach f flat minor (as a sudominant
to c flat major) at a certain moment.

My point was that this f flat minor seventh chord is really f flat
minor and not e minor.

If one is doing functional harmony and stacking thirds, indeed f minor and a♭ major it is different, producing different chord progressions because starting with f or with a♭ major respectively. So the Schwanengaesang needs some investigation and harmonic analysis to make clear the used key, f minor and a♭ major. Skilled musicians (I am not) might do that.

To give some beginner-level hints: The song starts with an a flat
major chord, ends with an a flat major chord, and has a key signature
of four flats. So adventurous spirits might consider putting a bet on
one out of the two candidates.

If one is only playing the notes of the sheet is this really important?

YES!

Not in equally tempered scale. All that feelings of keys refer to the historic tunings. And by the way, do you know that Bachs "Wohltemperierte Klavier" was written just to show how awfull that sounds in the ears of musicians of taht time? (I heard that in my side studies to physics in the Music Academie and you find that theory on the net as well.)

To prevent myself from senseless discussions as a music hobbyist I will ignore future discussions of the experts. I do not think that makes sense on the basis of equally tempered scale that disturbes any musical feelings. Therefor I like string quartets!