Re: Gis major key signature; Lily's key signature algorithm

From: bb
Subject: Re: Gis major key signature; Lily's key signature algorithm
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 12:23:49 +0100

Am 08.02.2018 um 10:16 schrieb David Kastrup:
Blöchl Bernhard <address@hidden> writes:

Am 08.02.2018 01:08, schrieb Urs Liska:
Am 07.02.2018 um 22:56 schrieb Blöchl Bernhard:
If one is only playing the notes of the sheet is this really
important?

YES!

Not in equally tempered scale. All that feelings of keys refer to the
historic tunings.
Not unless you are playing from piano roll notation, tablature or any
other notation omitting functional scale steps.

Our whole harmonic system is designed around scales.  Something like

{
}

sounds perfectly natural to us even though the thirds are
major, minor, minor, major, major.  Try figuring this out as semitone
intervals without referring to a scale (as a chromatic button accordion
player which _has_ a uniform keyboard I know what I am talking about).

And by the way, do you know that Bachs "Wohltemperierte Klavier" was
written just to show how awfull that sounds in the ears of musicians
of taht time? (I heard that in my side studies to physics in the Music
Academie and you find that theory on the net as well.)
You'll find a lot of "theories" on the net.  "Wohltemperirt" does not
refer to equal temperament.  It also does not refer to meantone
temperament.
Agree!

I forgot that Johann Sebastian Bachs Equal Temperament (he is sayed to be prononent of) was an unequal Well Temperament and not the equally tempered one of our days. (Historically there are two important reports of that, one by Werkmeister and one by Kirnberger, may be more?) It is likely that he tuned his fifths justly (i.e. pure), that is easy and fast. (Forkel, Johann Nikolaus, Ueber Johann Sebastian Bachs Lebens, Kunst und Kunstwerke, Leipzig. 1802; facs. ed., Frankfurt, 1950; English trans., London 1820. Forkel writes therein that  J. S. Bach always tuned his own keyboard and he needed not more than fifteen minutes.) Kirnberger, one of Bachs pupils required to tune all the thirds sharp (do not have the source present actually - I think to remember. I am sure many will disagree in future mails and indeed one finds different (lots of) reports and publications about. Historic tunings are an interesting topic to discuss and I appreciate the discussion going on. But I will jump out of this thread, even if I am wrong in some points  to do my other interesting work.

I never was a piano player, I play only different stringed instruments as a hobbyist, fretted and unfretted. But I know all that discussions from my pianist girlfriend, was a happy time, but long time past and gone.
To prevent myself from senseless discussions as a music hobbyist I
will ignore future discussions of the experts.
A discussion implies listening.  Without listening, it's just a shouting
match.  I have the feeling that communication in English is making it
hard for you to get and make points.  That might make a German LilyPond
user forum a better target for informal banter and would still leave the
English list for getting solutions when the German-speaking community
runs out of expertise.

As I already wrote above, I follow your recommendation and jump out of threads concerning musical interpretational discussions. My English is not precise enough for discussions about musical interpretation. But sorry, to discuss feelings of keys per se in the light of equally temperament is beyond my understanding, not to say nonsense and not a question of the quality of my English. (That "feeling" indeed was true for ancient tunings. Believe in that - I do not!) I had this discussions quite often at the Music Academy. What left using equally tempered tuning are TENSIONS between chords and the progression of chords alone.

I think for matters concerning use of lilypond my English is good enough and I discuss scientific physical matters in English without having problems so far.

Have fun, I am out and discard from the list.
Regards