Re: Tweaking Hairpin shape

From: Stefano Troncaro
Subject: Re: Tweaking Hairpin shape
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 19:43:20 -0300

Hello again!

I managed to modify David's translation of ly:hairpin::print to have it use two properties, Hairpin.rotate and Hairpin.straight-end, to achieve almost all the results I wanted.

The idea is that Hairpin.rotate can be either a numerical value, representing the angle of rotation, or a procedure that returns the angle of rotation. In one of the examples I used the function discussed earlier in this thread to have it automatically detect the angle of a beam. However, I can't manage to make this idea work when the procedure given to Hairpin.rotate requires more than one variable. This is very inconvenient because for some cases the procedure would need to calculate again a lot of things that are already calculated in the process of making the stencil.

Besides that, I have yet to figure out how to make a rotated Hairpin with the circled-tip placed in the right spot (when it's a decrescendo, crescendos pose no problem that I've found).

I think everything else is working as intended, but I could be wrong. I attached it in case anyone wants to look at it or test it out.

Of course, suggestions on how to improve it / optimize it are welcome!

>> Sure, I attached a few from here
>> <https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ReverseLookup/23160>
>
> Thanks, but in this score there is not a single heavily rotated
> hairpin; I would say that the differences are not of any importance.
>
>> <https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ReverseLookup/23074>.
>
> Oh, and an orchestral score doesn't contain heavily rotated hairpins
> by its very nature.  What I see here is very irregular.
>
>> Of course there are many more, in these and other scores.
>
> Hmm.  Here's a counterexample that contains `steep' hairpins
> (cf. page 6 bottom, page 23 bottom, page 24 top, etc., etc.) – and the
> ends are not vertically aligned.
>
>   https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ReverseLookup/246876
>
> The exception, however, is a broken hairpin, page 30 – here I agree
> that the continuation part should start (or end) vertically aligned.
> Or may only `could' instead of `should', as for example page 38
> demonstrates.
>
> On the other hand, it probably solely depends on the typesetter:
> page 40 contains steep hairpins that are all aligned...
>
> My conclusion: It could be a useful feature to have the ends of
> rotated hairpins vertically aligned.  However, I wouldn't like to have
> this as the default.
>
> I'm CCing this e-mail to `bug-lilypond' so that this feature request
> can be added to our issue database.
>

>     Werner

I'm a little late to the party this evening...

Though, vertically aligned Hairpins were already discussed (a little)
during code review of Ferneyhough hairpins
https://codereview.appspot.com/7615043
but postponed.
For an image see comment #2
I'm pretty sure they could still be implemented. `elbowed-hairpin' has
it's own limitations, though

Cheers,
  Harm