Piano staff notes across both staffs, another problem

From: Robert Blackstone
Subject: Piano staff notes across both staffs, another problem
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 13:03:15 +0100

Dear all,
I' ve been trying to connect, in a pianoscore, a top note in the lower staff with a chord in the upper staff.
I tried the methods given in the documentation and those given in the previous discussion on this list, a few days ago, on this topic.

They don't work for me because the stem directions of the notes to be joined are different.
I thought that maybe I could join their stems in the gap by subtly using \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #x,  but I don't know how to increase their stem lengths a wee bit without broadening the gap, as  \override Stem #'length-fraction = #(magstep whatever) does.
I also tried \override Stem.length = #x ,x being a number other than 0, but that always resulted in the stem disappearing completely.

Since I cannot provide an ME I include a screenshot to illustrate the problem.

Can anybody give me an advice?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone