\RemoveAllEmptyStaves and Dyanmics context line for piano pedals

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: \RemoveAllEmptyStaves and Dyanmics context line for piano pedals
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 15:26:11 +1100

I have a piano score which uses \RemoveAllEmpyStaves to remove staves where there is only activity in one staff. This works very nicely of course. I generally use a Dynamics context for pedalling, using sustain on and off events attached to spacer rests. This works perfectly of course also. Bu tinthis case, the pedal line does not show up as the \RemoveAllEmpty Staves deletes it. Had me puzzled all day until I figured that.

But now I find the \RemoveEmptyStaves works and does not delete the pedal line. The NR says (A.20):

RemoveAllEmptyStaves

Remove staves which are considered to be empty according to the list of interfaces set by keepAliveInterfaces, including those in the first system.

Sets grob property remove-empty in VerticalAxisGroup to #t.
Sets grob property remove-first in VerticalAxisGroup to #t.

RemoveEmptyStaves

Remove staves which are considered to be empty according to the list of interfaces set by keepAliveInterfaces.

Sets grob property remove-empty in VerticalAxisGroup to #t.

Could somebody help me understand this? I can't quite see what the difference is between the keepAliveInterdfaces list is in the two cases. Or is it that
RemoveAllEmptyStaves 'forcibly' removes the first staff?

Andrew