How to organize a single piece of work with different versions?

From: Edmundo Carmona Antoranz
Subject: How to organize a single piece of work with different versions?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 01:11:58 -0600

Hi!

As you might have noticed from previous mails I have sent, I'm working
on a project to process works from Bach on lilypond.

I have already put up BWV 1013 and 1030 (I dare you to guess the
instrument that I play). However, each one of them has many different
editions. Right now I have set up 2 editions of BWV 1030 (on top of
Bach's manuscript). Bach's manuscript is on 'master' and I have set up
1 branch for each of the other 2 editions (this also allows to be able
to see differences between the editions _relatively_ easily). I have
also set up different book name prefixes so that files (PDF and midi)
come out with different names as well (which requires switching
between branches in order to be able to generate the different
editions).

I would like to get your feedback to know if this is the right
approach or if I should try something different.

In case you want to take a look: https://github.com/eantoranz/bwv

Thanks in advance.