Re: how to donate to lilypond and/or openlilylib development?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: how to donate to lilypond and/or openlilylib development?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 09:51:40 +0100

Hi Mason,

Am 11.02.2018 um 04:43 schrieb Mason Hock:
This link

http://lilypond.org/sponsoring.html

describes paying developers to implement specific features. Is this the only way to contribute to Lilypond financially, or is it possible to make a general donation, ideally a small recurring monthly donation, to Lilypond and/or openlilylib?

as Karlin pointed out David Kastrup is the only LilyPond developer who has asked for and is receiving regular or one-time donations for his work. Since he is too reserved to constantly repeat this call for donations the stream of money flowing in his direction seems to steadily decrease. So this is indeed a good way to support LilyPond development.

That said, I'd for the first time like to state that I (as the original developer and maintainer of openLilyLib) would be open for donations too. There are several problems with this claim, and therefore I haven't ever voiced it until now:
  • There are so many people out there having spent lots of work and expertise on LilyPond that I have a hard time justifying to ask for money for myself.
  • Even with openLilyLib there are a few people having provided substantial work (I'd mainly point to Jan-Peter Voigt with the edition-engraver, Matteo Ceccarello with the gridLY package, and Jeffery Shivers with scholarLY (OK, most of that work was funded by a GSoC stipend)) and many others who have provided functionality for the snippets repository.
  • The money that seems available isn't even sufficient for one developer, so I'm reluctant to touch on that rare source, especially in light of the first item on this list. Actually I wouldn't ever want anyone to *redirect* money from him towards me.
One reason why it might be justifiable to donate to me too is that I still think that the oll-core infrastructure is something that should become a really important tool to add (and share) functionality to LilyPond in a modular way - if it gets the chance to be continued and properly documented.

I haven't contributed significant amounts of code to LilyPond's actual code base, but I've spent a substantial multiple of times the time that I can actually afford to improve LilyPond's usability and functionality, by creating oll-core, exploring (and sharing/explaining) new workflows, by writing tutorials and other helpful resources on http://lilypondblog.org or https://scheme-book.ursliska.de, by driving forward our GSoC participation, by connecting with academic musicology and music publishers, and by being active on Frescobaldi development.

Best regards
Urs

Thanks,

Mason