Re: More than one tempo mark in a score

From: Martin Neubauer
Subject: Re: More than one tempo mark in a score
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 14:32:35 +0100

On 12/02/2018 16:42, Peter Toye wrote:
> Monday, February 12, 2018, 3:22:27 PM, you wrote:
>
> *> Hi Peter,
>
>>> The nuisance is that you have to count all the silent bars where there
>>> aren't any tempo changes, which is far less convenient than simply adding a
>>> \tempo "Allegro" at the relevant place in the score!
>
>> So you're only adding your tempo markings to one context? And now
>> you're going to manually add it to a second context? What happens if
>> you change the tempo marking? You'll have to (manually) change it in both
>> places, yes?
>
> *True - though in my score there are just 2 contexts (as I said, it's
> piano 4-hands)
>
> *>> Or is there a way of moving to a particular bar number without all
> the counting?
>
>> There are several such functions floating around: the
>> edition-engraver (EE) of course supports this kind of thing; David K
>> once wrote an "addAt" (I think?) function; and I remember at least one other
>> attempt some years ago.
>
> *You've lost me here - what is the EE? It's not in the Internals ref.
I think that was meant as an abbreviation for the aforementioned edition
engraver. (Which isn't part of lilypond itself, but can be found here:
https://github.com/openlilylib/edition-engraver)
> *>> That would be difficult if there are \set Score.currentBarNumber
> commands to cope with as well.
>
>> The EE handles that situation; I don't remember if the addAt function does.
>
>> Another possibility — essentially exactly what you're asking about
>> — would be to write a [Scheme?] engraver that checked all contexts
>> in a score for a MetronomeMark event, and added any event found to
>> all "flagged" contexts automatically. Maybe look into that option!
>
> *My programming days are over now - it's been some time since I was a
> professional and I really don't want to have to learn yet another
> language! Also, I'm on a windows-based machine, and I gather that this
> gives difficulties with developing LP (and many other public domain
> programs).
Although developing lilypond itself on a windows machine might indeed be
challenging, all the programming capabilities you'd need in your scores
should just work anywhere lp runs. And even if you don't intend to write
engravers or other somewhat complex functions from scratch yourself, a
basic understanding of Scheme will certainly be helpful in the long run.
You most certainly will come across solutions (in the LSR or elsewhere)
that are almost right for the challenges you are faced with, but can be
easily adapted to fit your needs. As these adjustments often don't
require lots of skill, even a small learning effort can go a long way.
And maybe curiosity will get the better of you...

All the best,
Martin